AmigaActive (1063/2143)

From:Kevin Twyman
Date:13 May 2000 at 20:35:36
Subject:Re: PFS2 - 3 Upgrade (Long)

Hello Tim,

On 13-May-00, you wrote:

>> One thing I noticed was the loss of quite a lot of disk space once
>> a partition was converted to PFS. I assume this is the space taken
>> by the .deldir directory?

> The space isn't taken by the .deldir directory, it's taken by PFS3's
> internal directory blocks. PFS3 allocates these at format time,
> while FFS allocates them as it needs them. Although it may seem that
> the PFS3 partiton is smaller as a result, it will actually hold more
> data as the directory structure is more space efficient.

The main reason I noticed the effect was that I backed up my "Data"
partition, which was almost full, installed PFS on the partition, and
then copied the data back.
Only it wouldn't go, I got a "volume Data: is full" message.

PFS is definitely faster, though, and has installed with no problems.

One last thing, credit where it is due, that was excellent service
from you, Tim. I got the CD the morning after I rang you! :)

Regards,

Kevin - Est. 1949 http://www.theboyz.freeserve.co.uk
A man with an Amiga A4000T CyberStormPPC 604e/233

Success is just a matter of luck. Ask any failure.

Make music with anyone, anywhere, through FREE Internet
recording studio software. FREE software download!